How To Make Hummus
Enjoy a healthy snack by learning how to make hummus. Hummus is a delicious chickpea and tahini or sesame seed paste dip. Even if turning on the stove frightens you, you can learn to make hummus. All you need to do to make your own hummus is combine a few ingredients in a blender or food processor and turn it on.
To make hummus, you will need:
- Blender or food processor
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Salt to taste
- Serving dish
- Olive oil
- Pita chips
- Raw vegetables
- Place the tahini and lemon juice in the blender jar or bowl of the food processor. Put the lid on the bowl or jar and blend to combine. Turn the blender or food processor off.
- Add garlic to the blender or food processor, as well as the chickpeas and cumin. Use as much or as little garlic as you wish. Two cloves will give you a mild garlic taste while six cloves will be enough to keep vampires and potential dates away.
- Puree the mixture. You may have to add some water as you puree if the mixture is too thick and your blender or food processor struggles to puree. You want the hummus to be smooth and spreadable, but not runny, so be careful adding the water. If you add to much, you may have to open another can of chickpeas.
- Taste the hummus. Add salt to taste. You may need to put in more garlic or cumin or a touch more lemon juice to the mixture until you like it.
- Scoop the hummus into a serving dish. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with a sprinkling of paprika and a sprig of parsley. Serve the hummus with pita chips and raw vegetables.