If you are planning to make cupcakes or a cake, you want to know how to make icing to go along with it. Once you have the basic recipe down, you can make changes in color or flavor with just a few easy changes. Remember that no cake is complete without icing.
- powdered sugar
- meringue powder
- water (or milk)
- butter flavor
- water (or milk)
- Measure out two cups of shortening and place in the mixer. Knowing how to make icing involves very specific measurements. If you add too much or two little of the ingredients the icing will not turn out with the right consistency.
- Add in four tablespoons of water, one teaspoon of butter flavor, and one teaspoon of vanilla. If you want to know how to make icing that comes out bright white without any hints of beige you should look for clear vanilla. Start the mixer on a low speed and make sure that everything is completely mixed together before moving on.
- Add two tablespoons of meringue powder. This is the ingredient that adds stiffness so as you learn how to make icing, even different kinds of icing, this will be important. Once again, start the mixer and let it mix until everything is blended.
- Add powdered sugar. This step is tricky because there is no exact amount of powdered sugar to add. Anywhere from four to five cups will work, depending on the consistency that you want. If you want to know how to make icing for spreading on a cake, go with less powdered sugar. If you want a stiffer consistency for decorating, add more.
- The best method is to add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and let it completely mix in. Then add another and keep going, mixing after each cup, until you have the right consistency. If it is too stiff, add in one teaspoon of water at a time until it gets better.
- Add coloring. If you need to know how to make icing of different colors, you can just add the food color drops (or gel) into the mix. The mixer will blend the colors perfectly. If you need more than one color you can separate the icing into smaller bowls and mix in color by hand.
Once you know how to make icing, you can begin practicing how to decorate cakes for all sorts of occasions.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.