How To Make Inari Sushi
If you are wondering how to make inari sushi, keep in mind that it is not a complicated process. You may need to shop around and find some key ingredients, however it is well worth it. All of the ingredients to make inari sushi can be found at any Japanese or Asian food store.
To make inari sushi, you will need:
- 140 g short grain Japanese rice
- pinch of salt
- 175-180 ml water
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp. sushi vinegar
- 8 aburage deep fried tofu pouches
- 350 ml instant dashi
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. mirin
- ginger pickles
- Kikkoman soy sauce
- Wash the rice. Place the rice in a big bowl and run cold water on it. The water should continue to run until it is clear. Use your hands to mix the rice around. The purpose of this is to wash all of the starch out of the rice. If the rice is to starchy the inari sushi will not come out right. Mix it well so that the rice is clear of all starch. Pour the rice into a sieve and let it sit for about thirty minutes. This will drain all excess water and allow the rice to moderately dry.
- Cook the rice. Add a pinch of salt to the rice and place it into a medium sauce pan. Add enough water so that the rice is covered about one inch. Use the proper sized lid and stretch a tea towel under it. Place the lid and towel combination on the pot. Cook the rice over high heat until it begins to boil. Then allow the rice to cook on low heat for 15 minutes. You will then need to remove the rice from the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid at this time. Lifting the lid will release steam that is crucial for the proper rice texture. The rice must be perfect because it is the main ingredient for inari sushi.
- Mix the rice. Pour the rice into a large bowl. Pour 1/3 of the vinegar into the rice and mix. Use a spatula and mix lightly. Try very hard not to break up or smash the rice. Use more of a folding motion to keep the rice intact. When making inari sushi, smashed rice will effect the taste. Repeat this process until you have used all of the vinegar. Then set the rice aside and it should be ready to use within a few hours.
- Cook the tofu pouches. While making inari sushi place the tofu pouches into a bowl. To remove some of the oil, you will need to douse them with some boiling water. Pour the dashi, light soy sauce, sugar and mirin into a sauce pan. Mix it and add the tofu pouches. Simmer this for about 15 minutes or until the stock reduces. You should frequently press the pouches with a spoon to keep them from inflating. Allow them to cool in the stock, then remove them.
- Roll the pouches. Using a chopstick as a rolling pin, roll each pouch. Rolling the pouches will allow them to open easily. You will then need to use a sharp knife to open the pouch. The pouches are the base of the inari sushi, so try not to ruin them in the process.
- Fill the pouches. Wet your hands to reduce sticking. Take a small amount of rice and place it into the pouch. You should be using about a spoonful. Be gentle so that you do not rip the pouch. Fold the edges to keep the rice enclosed. Place the open side down on the serving plate. The inari sushi is now ready to serve. Inari sushi is best served with ginger pickles and Kikkoman soy sauce.