Need to know how to make Indian tacos? Making the same Indian tacos that cause long lines at many southwest street fairs in your very own kitchen is possible with this recipe. Homemade Indian fry bread is the key to an authentic Indian taco. Indian tacos have also been called Navajo tacos and Tewa tacos.
To make Indian tacos, you will need:
- 2 pounds lean ground meat (beef, lamb, venison or pork)
- A package of taco seasoning
- 2 cups refried beans
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons lard or margarine
- 3 cups warm water
- Vegetable oil
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped onions
- Chopped green chiles
- Chopped olives
- Sour cream
- Cook the beef for the Indian tacos. Brown the beef in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning to taste. Add refried beans to the Indian taco filling and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Combine the ingredients for the Indian fry bread. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and powdered milk. Add lard or margarine and mix. Add water to make the dough soft. Refrigerate until use. This step to make Indian tacos can be done up to three days in advance.
- Fry the Indian fry bread. In a skillet, heat 3/4-inch of vegetable oil to 375 degrees. Pat or roll out the dough into twelve quarter-inch thick circles. Skim the dough into hot oil. Prick the dough once or twice and fry until golden brown. Flip the dough over and fry other side the same way. Take the dough out and drain it on paper towels.
- Assemble the Indian tacos. Take your fry bread and spoon some meat filling along with your preferred amount of cheese, tomatoes, onions, green chiles, olives, salsa and sour cream for a delicious Indian taco.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...