Learn how to make Irish potatoes and impress company next time you have a dinner party. The Irish potato famine was a country wide starvation in Ireland caused by a potato disease, but these sweet and delicious Irish Potato candies won’t leave anyone hungry. Named for their amazing resemblance to a potatoes, they don’t actually taste a thing like the popular starch. Serve them at your next St. Patrick’s day get together or just for a pleasant gathering with your friends or girlfriend. This recipe is for larger groups, so if your not expecting a crowd, feel free to cut the recipe in half.
Ingredients you will need to prepare Irish Potatoes:
- One stick of butter, softened
- One to Eight oz package of regular cream cheese, softened
- Two teaspoons vanilla extract
- Four cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- Four tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Mix together butter and cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Once well blended, add in vanilla and sugar and beat until the mixture becomes very thick.
- Add the coconut to the bowl, and using a wooden spoon, fold the coconut into the mixture.
- Using your hands, form the batter into small oval (potato shaped) candies.
- Pour the cinnamon into a sealable plastic bag.
- One by one, add the Irish potato candies to the bag and shake to coat each piece with cinnamon.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Set each completed Irish Potato on the cookie sheet, leaving a little space in between each one.
- Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator to harden for at least one hour before serving.
- Immediately before serving your Irish Potatoes, dust each candy with additional cinnamon.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.