If you are a fan of Jack In The Box's Jalapeno Poppers, then you're in luck. Making Jack In The Box-like Jalapeno Poppers is really simple. You can make these spicy and delicious treats for get togethers and football parties and you will surely impress your guests. A word of caution: you should definitely wear gloves when handling the jalapeno peppers.
You will need:
- 1 pair vinyl or latex gloves
- Vegetable oil – enough for deep-frying
- 12 large fresh jalapenos
- 1 8 oz. package of Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 c. cream cheese
- 1 c. plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 c. breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 quart-size zip-top bag with one corner cut out.
- First, put on the gloves before touching the peppers. Then, leaving the stems intact, cut length-wise from the stem to the tip.
- Place vegetable oil on the stove in a large pot or deep fryer and let it heat to approximately 375 degrees.
- Gut the peppers, removing the seeds. (If you like your peppers hot, you may leave the seeds in.)
- Mix the cheeses and half the seasonings together in a small bowl. Transfer mixture to the zip-top bag and set aside.
- Mix together the egg and milk, whisking until the mixture is frothy and the egg is beaten.
- Mix remainder of seasonings, 2 tbsp. flour and breadcrumbs together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place remaining cup of flour in another bowl.
- Squeeze the cheese mixture from the plastic bag into each of the jalapeno peppers. Close the opening by squeezing together with your fingers.
- Once all of the peppers are filled, begin the breading process by dipping each pepper first in the plain flour, then into the milk mixture, then into the breadcrumbs mix. If you need another coat of breading on your pepper, repeat the milk dunk and the breadcrumb dip. It works best if you gently place the pepper in the breadcrumb mix and roll it around to cover all sides. Make sure to keep the pepper opening closed.
- Once all of your peppers are sufficiently coated, place the peppers in the hot vegetable oil with a metal strainer, or in the deep fryer basket.
- Cook the peppers only until the breading is golden brown. If you leave them in too long the cheese will start to squeeze out. The objective is to remove them before the cheese starts to escape.
- Take them from the hot oil and place them on some napkins to absorb some of the excess oil.
- Serve while still warm.
If you would like to cut back on the "heart-attack" factor in these tasty delights, you can bake them in the oven instead of deep-frying them. They taste great and have tons less fat when baked instead of fried. Experiment and try different ingredients in the cheese mixture like chorizo or bacon.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."