Learn about how to make jeans that will fit you and have the look you want. Blue jeans are a tried and true garment that nearly everyone has in their wardrobe. Make jeans so you have the right color wash, style and fit you're looking for.
To make jeans, you will need:
- Denim fabric
- Jeans pattern
- Sewing machine
- Scissors, thread, straight pins
- Find a denim fabric that you really like. If you're going to the trouble of making your own blue jeans, choose the right fabric. Denim comes in all colors and washes like black and softened light blue. Choose the one that suits you.
- Select a jeans pattern that will fit your body type. Not all jeans are created equal. Some styles of pants fit certain bodies better than others. Decide what style jeans or pants you already have that fit you well and select a jeans pattern that is as close to that style as you can find.
- Cut out the jeans pattern. Take the pattern and cut out the pattern pieces that are needed to make your style of jeans. Sometimes, patterns come with several styles to make using the same pattern. Set the pattern pieces you'll need aside.
- Prepare the fabric. Decide if you need to wash the fabric first before cutting out the pattern pieces. If so, wash the denim and dry it. Iron it if needed. Spread the denim fabric out on a table.
- Adjust the pattern as needed. If you need to shorten or lengthen the legs, do so according to the pattern's instructions. Length is usually added or subtracted in the leg portion, not at the bottom of the pant leg. Make any adjustments as needed to the pattern before laying it out.
- Lay out the pattern. Use the instructions in the pattern to lay out the fabric correctly on the denim fabric. Pin the pattern to the fabric then cut out each piece.
- Sew the jeans. Follow the blue jeans directions on the pattern instruction sheet to sew the jeans. Be sure to use a contrasting thread color if desired for any top stitching to the jeans.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Speakeasy: Jonathan Banks
The Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad star talks Beverly Hills Cop, Wiseguy, sitcom work and his new flick with Danny Trejo, Bullet. Oh yeah, a few Mike Ehrma …