Learn how to make jewelry out of watch parts for a truly unique look. Steampunk is the name for items made from watch parts and other metal hardware like faucets, gears, and keys to name a few. The metal items used in Steampunk jewelry like watch parts give each piece a truly unique design, especially good for a masculine look. The types of jewelry that can be made include rings, necklaces, bracelets, cuff links, and more.
To make jewelry out of watch parts, you will need:
- assortment of watch parts
- ring blank or cuff link blanks
- epoxy glue
- Start with a ring blank in the right size. As an example, use a ring blank that fits your finger. Using an adjustable ring blank is fine. The ring needs to have a flat surface for gluing larger items to. This is true for cuff links, a bracelet, or a necklace; a blank surface for gluing items onto is key.
- Find the largest watch part you want to use. This ring will have layers of watch parts so start with the largest piece. Use a watch part with edges that are spoked for an interesting look, for instance. Glue the large piece to the ring blank using a good epoxy glue. Take care to apply the epoxy with a toothpick or other item so you do not get the epoxy on your hands or clothing. Read the epoxy instructions and follow them carefully.
- Find an assortment of other watch parts. The next step is to add layers of watch parts and components that provide a pleasing final effect.
- Let the jewelry dry. Be sure to let the epoxy dry completely before wearing the ring or cuff links or other jewelry.