You can try a little Kentucky twist on a Tom Collins when you know how to make a John Collins. Several varieties of Collins drinks use the same mix, but contain different liquors. The John Collins is made with bourbon, which is a type of whiskey from Kentucky. Many bartenders use bar sugar (a superfine sugar) in the sweet and sour mix. You can substitute simple syrup, which is a one-to-one ratio of sugar and water melted together, if you don’t have superfine sugar.
You need these items to make a John Collins cocktail:
- Collins glass
- Lemon juice
- Simple syrup or superfine sugar
- Club soda
- Maraschino cherry (garnish)
- Orange slice (garnish)
- Add ice to a Collins glass. If you don’t have a Collins glass, any ten to fourteen ounce glass will work well.
- Add two ounces of bourbon, one ounce of lemon juice and one-half ounce of simple syrup or one teaspoon of superfine sugar into the glass. Stir and mix the ingredients well in the glass. Using simple syrup will incorporate quicker.
- Top off the glass with club soda. Make sure you mix the ingredients completely before adding the club soda to preserve the carbonation.
- Add the orange slice and maraschino cherry into the glass for garnish. The fruity flavors help to add sweetness to the John Collins cocktail.
This recipe uses all fresh ingredients. You can make a John Collins with sweet and sour mix. When you use the premade mix, leave out the lemon juice and sugar/simple syrup.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.