By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn how to make a kayak sail. A kayak sail is important when you get tired of paddling your kayak, and want to use wind power to get you to your final destination.
- 1/4" steel wire
- Nylon or sail fabric
- Use a bending form such as a barrel to form the steel wire into a circle. Ideally, this circle should be approximately three feet in diameter.
- Create a form from cardboard that is in the shape of a half circle with curved ends, and is approximately four feet long. Use this cardboard form to make an outline onto the piece of nylon fabric. Carefully cut out two half circles of nylon fabric.
- Use a sewing machine to carefully stitch the two pieces of fabric together along the two curved ends.
- Carefully cut a slice that in half an inch long into the sail at one of the ends. Fold the edge of the sail over at a distance of about half an inch at the end of the cut. Use the sewing machine to stitch along the fold, until you have passed the opposite side of the cut. This will create a gap though which a wire rod can be passed.
- Sew four loops of nylon fabric which are about three inches long to the corners of the sail, at a distance of half an inch from the edge of the fabric. Carefully place the wire rod into the gap, forming a circular sail.
- Securely attach hook clips to the ends of three-foot long polyester string. Ideally, this string should be around 1/8 of an inch thick. Hook the clips through the four loops, then attach the hooks to the other end of the sail.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.