Learn how to make a key lime cake, and watch this impressive dessert win over even the pickiest of eaters. Boxed cake mixes make this recipe quick and easy, but fresh key lime juice and homemade cream cheese frosting make it taste like it's from scratch. Gather the ingredients and get started on this refreshingly rich cake.
To make a key lime cake, you'll need:
- box lemon cake mix
- four eggs
- 1 1/3 cup cooking oil
- three oz. box lime gelatin
- 3/4 cup orange or pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- four tablespoons key lime juice or lime juice
- four cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Using a metal bowl, combine lemon cake mix, eggs, oil, gelatin, and orange juice. Beat the ingredients with a mixer until it's well-blended.
- Bake the key lime cake according to the directions on the package. When it's ready, remove the cake from the oven and set it aside to cool.
Prepare the frosting in a clean metal bowl. Beat softened butter and cream cheese until it’s whipped and light in texture. Slowly add the powdered sugar and cream of tartar, then beat the mixture. Add the key lime juice and mix until it's well blended.
Remove the key lime cake from the pan and frost it with a spatula or icing knife on all sides and the top. Garnish the cake with key lime wedges, shredded coconut, maraschino cherries, or chopped nuts if desired.
- Store the key lime cake in a container with a tight-fitting lid and chill for longer storage.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …