Do you ever wish to learn how to cook Kung Pao Chicken at home, but thought it could never be as good as takeout? Think again. Kung Pao chicken is a popular staple of North American Szechuan cuisine and this recipe for Kung Pao Chicken will make you glad you cooked instead of dialed your local Chinese restaurant.
You will need the following items:
- Two lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast cut into one inch cubes
- Two tbsp. cornstarch
- Four tsp. sesame or vegetable oil
- Six tbsp. green onions, sliced
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- One tsp. red pepper flakes
- One tsp. fresh ginger
- Four tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- Four tbsp. soy sauce
- Four tsp. sugar
- Two-third cup dry roasted peanuts
- Eight cups cooked rice, hot
- Skillet or a wok
- Coat the chicken pieces. The first step in making Kung Pao chicken is to combine the chicken and cornstarch in small bowl. Toss to coat.
- Cook the chicken. Heat the oil in large non-stick skillet or wok on medium heat. Add the chicken and stir fry five to seven minutes or until fully cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan or wok.
- Stir fry the onions. Add onions, garlic, red pepper and ginger to skillet or wok. This will give the Kung Pao Chicken a terrific flavor. Stir fry one minute. Remove from heat.
- Make the sauce for the Kung Pao Chicken. Mix vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in small bowl. Blend into the Kung Pao Chicken onion/garlic mixture.
- Add the chicken back into the mixture. Return the chicken to skillet. Stir until chicken is well coated.
- Fold the nuts into the Kung Pao Chicken. Add the nuts to the chicken.
- Heat the Kung Pao Chicken. Place the skillet back on medium heat, stirring until the chicken is heated throughout. Serve with hot rice.
- Substitute peanuts for cashews, if preferred.
- Adjust the hot pepper to your liking.
- You can used pickled or powdered ginger if fresh is not available.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.