Lamb is a rich, fatty and delicious meat that takes well to many different types of preparations, and learning how to make lamb shanks slow cooker is one of them. You can grill lamb, grind it up and use the ground lamb, braise it, bake it, pan sear it and everything in between. If you want to put a meal on in the morning and come back to it after work, using a slow cooker to take care of the lamb during the day. The low and slow cooking method slowly breaks down the fat in the meat, keeping it moist and flavorful. This recipe has basic lamb shank flavoring, but you can experiment with your favorite seasonings as well. Italian and herbs de provence seasoning mixes should work well with the lamb as well as the recipe mix.
Things you need to slow cook a lamb:
- Lamb shanks
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 5 Celery stalks
- 2 Onions
- 5 Carrots
- 1 cup Dry red wine
- Potatoes or another slow cooking vegetable
1/4 teaspoon each of fresh or dried rosemary, Greek oregano and thyme
- Chop your vegetables, leaving them in fairly large chunks. Remember that you are going to be cooking the lamb for a significant amount of time. The thicker vegetables take longer to cook so they don't disintegrate during the cooking process.
- Turn your slow cooker on medium. Slow cookers use an analog or digital dial to set the temperature. Consult the slow cooker manual if you aren't sure how to set your temperature.
- Place your lamb shanks into the slow cooker. Pour the dry red wine and the beef stock into the slow cooker. You should have enough liquid to almost cover the shanks.
- Work your vegetables in around the shanks. The vegetables should also be covered by the braising liquid. Add more beef stock if needed.
- Check on the lamb shanks in eight hours. The shanks should be completely cooked by now, and you can check for an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees. Remove the shanks from the braising liquid and serve with vegetables.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.