How To Make Leche Flan
Learning how to make Leche Flan is quite simple and quicker than you might anticipate. Leche flan is a popular Filipino dessert similar to creme brulee or flan. It consists mainly of eggs, sugar and sweetened, condensed milk. Here is an easy guide to how to make Leche Flan.
Ingredients needed are:
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Oval pan
- Large baking pan
- Place a sauce pan on medium to high heat and add the sugar and water. Boil this mixture until it caramelizes and then remove from heat.
- Pour the caramelized sugar into your loaf pan. This will caramelize your Leche Flan. Make sure you coat the entire pan with the melted sugar and water.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla extract. Blend thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into your caramelized oval pan. Pre-heat your oven to 370º F.
- Cover your oval pan with aluminum foil and fill up your large baking pan about halfway with hot water. This will produce the steaming effect you need to cook the Leche Flan.
- Place the oval pan in a pre-heated oven. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Test for doneness with a long toothpick, bamboo skewer or cake tester. If these come out clean, the Leche Flan is done.
- Remove the Leche Flan from the oven and the large baking pan. Cool in the refrigerator for one to three hours.
- Loosen the flan from it's oval pan with a serrated knife. Serve and enjoy!