Knowing how to make leek soup is a great start for any aspiring chef. It's simple and has enough flavor to make your family and guests think it's a gourmet dish. The soup itself is wonderful to have before or with a dinner or by itself as a light lunch with some bread or crackers. Leeks give you a great onion taste but are milder then regular onions. They shouldn't be eaten raw, so making a soup around them is perfect. This soup is served hot and can easily become one of your favorite comfort foods.
How to make leek soup, you'll need:
- six leeks
- one sliced onion
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- six peeled and sliced potatoes
- six cups of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of parsley, chopped
- one beaten egg yolk
- salt and pepper
- dash of nutmeg
- two cups light cream
- crisp bacon crumbled
- Using the white part of the leeks only cut into rounds, saute them with the onion in the butter till just soft and not browned.
- Put in potatoes, broth, and parsley and simmer till the vegetables are soft.
- Strain vegetables and slightly mash them.
- Put pureed vegetables back in broth.
- Add beaten egg , dashes of salt and pepper, and dash of nutmeg to broth and stir till well combined.
- Pour in cream and heat soup till hot again.
- Garnish with the crisp bacon bits.
- You can use fresh bacon that you have fried yourself or you can use bacon bits.
- Serve with garlic bread or hearty French or Italian breads with a green salad.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …