Knowing how to make leek soup is a great start for any aspiring chef. It's simple and has enough flavor to make your family and guests think it's a gourmet dish. The soup itself is wonderful to have before or with a dinner or by itself as a light lunch with some bread or crackers. Leeks give you a great onion taste but are milder then regular onions. They shouldn't be eaten raw, so making a soup around them is perfect. This soup is served hot and can easily become one of your favorite comfort foods.
How to make leek soup, you'll need:
- six leeks
- one sliced onion
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- six peeled and sliced potatoes
- six cups of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of parsley, chopped
- one beaten egg yolk
- salt and pepper
- dash of nutmeg
- two cups light cream
- crisp bacon crumbled
- Using the white part of the leeks only cut into rounds, saute them with the onion in the butter till just soft and not browned.
- Put in potatoes, broth, and parsley and simmer till the vegetables are soft.
- Strain vegetables and slightly mash them.
- Put pureed vegetables back in broth.
- Add beaten egg , dashes of salt and pepper, and dash of nutmeg to broth and stir till well combined.
- Pour in cream and heat soup till hot again.
- Garnish with the crisp bacon bits.
- You can use fresh bacon that you have fried yourself or you can use bacon bits.
- Serve with garlic bread or hearty French or Italian breads with a green salad.