Need to know how to make a lemon battery? Making a lemon battery is a fun and educational science experiment for kids and adults alike. The battery works because copper attracts electrons, so when a copper penny comes in contact with a galvanized nail (which is coated in zinc), electrons pass from the nail to the penny. You can channel this power into an electric current by adding an electrolyte—a liquid for the electrons to flow through—provided by the lemon juice. Two lemons create enough electricity to power a small digital watch.
To make a lemon battery, you will need:
- 2 lemons
- 2 galvanized nails
- 2 clean pennies
- 3 copper wires
- A small digital watch
- A knife
- Roll the lemons for the lemon battery on a hard surface for about a minute . This will help release some of the juices, making your lemon battery work better.
- Wrap the end of one copper wire around a nail. Wrap the end of another copper wire around a penny. Wrap one end of the third copper wire around the other nail, and the other end around the other penny.
- Make two cuts on the skin of each lemon, about an inch apart. Push a single nail into one cut, until it reaches the lemon pulp. Push a single copper penny into one cut on the other lemon.
- Push the nail with the remaining wire into the other cut in the lemon with the penny. Push the other penny into the other cut in the lemon with the nail.
- Connect the remaining wires to the watch. Touch the wire from the nail to the place where the negative end of a battery would go and the wire from the penny to the place where the positive end of a battery would go. Watch the lemon battery power your watch!
You can use a strip of copper and a strip of zinc instead of galvanized nails and pennies. You can find copper and zinc in a hardware store.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.