You can make a light, fluffy buttery biscuit at home to serve with any meal. Not only are these wonderful when served as part of a meal, but the fluffy, buttery biscuits make a perfect breakfast or snack treat when served warm with honey or jam.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¾ cup cold milk
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture. Use your fingers or a pastry blender to thoroughly work in the butter.
- Add the milk gradually. Mix just until blended but do not over mix.
- Roll or pat dough to ½ or ¾ inch thick. Cut biscuits with a round biscuit cutter or overturned mug.
- Place biscuits on a well buttered baking sheet. Place them close together for fluffier biscuits; farther apart for crisper edges.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for twelve to fifteen minutes. Bake until they are light brown and fluffy.
- Serve immediately while biscuits are hot. Leftovers can be reheated gently; however, biscuits are best served fresh.
Serving suggestions for biscuits:
- Dip in soup or stew.
- Serve in place of buttered bread with spaghetti.
- Slice in half and spread with honey or jam.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.
- Cut in half and cover with hot baked beans.
- Place a fried egg in the center of the biscuit.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.