How To Make Long Distance Relationships Work
You probably didn’t spend much time thinking about how to make long distance relationships work until you were actually in one. Then you realized how complicated, not to mention unsatisfying, things can get when your partner is hundreds or thousands of miles away. The key to success in this situation is communication. If you can’t be together physically you have to make up for it with other ways of staying in touch. Although it can take a little extra effort and flexibility, there are tools that help make being in a long distance relationship easier.
- Telephone. You already depend on your phone to maintain contact with a number of people. It’s not much of a stretch to use it as a tool for making your long distance relationship work. If the cost isn’t prohibitive, take out your phone and give your sweetie a call often. You’ll be amazed at the things you find to talk about long distance, not to mention the joy of phone sex.
- IM. Fire up your IM client, turn on your webcam and enjoy a drink together, have a chat about how the day went or show her your new tattoo. If a time difference makes it hard for you to be at your computers at the same time, leave a quick, affectionate note for her to find later.
- E-mail. Most people enjoy getting e-mail and seeing a message arrive from someone special is enough to cause a very pleasant flutter of the heart. Pour out yours in a long message or send a quick “I’m thinking of you.” Either way, you keep communication in the long distance relationship going.
- Snail mail. It’s old fashioned, yes, but the extra effort it takes to send snail mail will make your girl smile. A handwritten note or a few words scrawled on the bottom of a greeting card will help keep the romance in your long distance relationship alive.
- Virtual gifts. You’re going to send a real gift for special occasions, of course, but a virtual gift can be fun every now and then, too. There’s a wide range of free, virtual gifts available, so take a minute to help make your long distance relationship work by sending her some electronic flowers, a pizza with firecrackers and goblins or even a beer.