To learn how to make low calorie rye bread, you will be substituting some high calorie and high fat corn syrups, sugars, and molasses with a small portion of raw and delicious honey. You will have same flavor, but with less calories. Low calorie rye bread can be made a number of ways to include: flat breads, traditional loaf bread and round loaves on a sheet pan. The real secret to low calorie rye bread is in the portions that you eat. Limit the thickness of the bread to reduce your calories.
The many health benefits of rye bread will entice you to make this delicious bread every week. The high fiber content of rye bread will help you lose weight, maintain a healthier body and enjoy the fact that it has very little fat. Rye bread is traditionally used over wheat bread for diabetics, due to the fact that it does not spike your blood sugar level up like wheat bread.
- 1/2 kilo of rye flour
- 1/2 kilo of whole wheat brown flour
- 1 cup of yogurt (goat or cow)
- 1/3 cup of virgin olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages of dry instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
- Warm water as needed
- Caraway and black cumin seeds for garnishing (optional)
- 1 egg to be used for the egg wash
Note: If using regular active yeast instead of the instant yeast, mix the yeast prior with 1/4 cup of warm water. Let the yeast and warm water set for 5 minutes to activate the yeast, before beginning to make the bread.
- Place both the rye flour and the wheat flour on a big counter. Mix the rye and the wheat flours together with your hands.
- Make a hole in the center of the flours and add in the yogurt, oil, salt, yeast and honey.
- With your fingers or a fork start mixing the rye and wheat flour together with the other ingredients in the center. Add enough warm water to finish making the low calorie rye bread dough.
- Knead the bread on a floured surface for 6 to 10 minutes. Mold the bread into a round ball and spray some olive oil on top lightly to cover the top of the dough. Leave the bread on the floured counter and cover with a large glass bowl. Let the bread to rise until double in size.
- After the dough rises, with your hand punch the dough in the middle, cover with the glass bowl again and let the bread rise once more.
- After the dough has risen the second time, divide the dough into three portions. Using a non-stick spray, coat the baking pan with the spray. Make the low calorie rye bread dough into round loaves and carefully place on the baking pan. Using regular loaf pans can be substituted also.
- Cover the bread with a kitchen cotton cloth and allow to rise again for 25 minutes. With a serrated blade knife, cut some strips in the top of each loaf and brush each loaf with an egg wash (one egg mixed with 1/2 cup of water). Top each loaf with caraway and black cumin seeds for extra flavor.
- Bake in a hot preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. By inserting a tooth pick in the center of the bread, you can test to see if the low calorie rye bread is done.
Alternative Low Calorie Rye Flat Bread: If pita bread or flat bread is preferred, divide the dough into 23 to 25 equal portions. Take one portion and roll out very flat and place the rolled flat bread in a pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake the bread in a very hot preheated 450 degree oven for a few minutes only. Turn the bread over once to brown the other side. The remaining pieces may be frozen in individual bags to be used as needed.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Why Most Men Should Never Wear Timberlands
Unless you're doing some sort of manual labor, say goodbye to these boots.