Want to learn how To make low carb tortillas? Making low carb tortillas is easy and they are much healthier than the traditional store bought varieties. Many low carb people shy away from Mexican food, but this tortilla recipe is not only healthy, it's delicious. There are only five ingredients in this process, so it is very inexpensive to make. in addition, this recipe takes approximately 45 minutes to prepare with fifteen minutes of preparation time, but you can always make low carb tortillas ahead of time, freeze them and reheat as needed.
To make low carb tortillas you will need:
- 4 cups of whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of lard
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Large skillet for frying
- Rolling pin
- Combine the first three ingredients and mix together in a large bowl. Mixing the ingredients completely will ensure that you have an even dough to work with.
- Cut the lard into the flower mixture using your hands. It should look like cornmeal when you are done. Freezing the lard prior to use and utilizing a box grater to cut it into the dough can make this step a little easier.
- Add the water and mix it the dough until it comes off the sides of the bowl. Place some flour on your hands and lightly flour your work surface. Turn the dough out onto the surface and knead it until it forms into a smooth ball of dough. Divide the dough into 24 equal dough balls.
- Preheat your skillet over a medium high heat and spray with oil cooking spray. Roll each section of dough with a well-floured rolling pin until it resembles a round, thin tortilla. If you prefer, you can roll the dough between wax paper to make it easier to remove.
- Cook each tortilla on each side until golden brown and bubbly. Place cooked tortillas in a warm oven or cover with foil to keep them warm while you cook the remainder of your low carb tortillas.
If you would like to substitute the lard, margarine can be used instead. Just make sure to mix well. If you like slightly larger low carb tortillas, consider separating the dough into 16 smaller dough balls, for a larger version. Spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder or oregano can be added to the dough for added flavor. Low carb tortillas can also be served with cinnamon sugar and served as a snack. These low carb tortillas are great for breakfast burritos and are ideal for a low carb lunch or dinner.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.