How To Make Low Fat Macaroni And Cheese
If you love macaroni and cheese, but the rich dish doesn’t suit your diet, consider learning how to make low-fat macaroni and cheese. Low-fat macaroni and cheese can provide a much needed break from the hardships of watching your weight or your cholesterol, without having to sacrifice flavor. A few of the worst parts of traditional macaroni and cheese are the heavy milk, butter and cheese products. While you are probably thinking that those are the best parts, making some slight low-fat substitutions will help satisfy your cravings for those dishes that are inherently bad for you. While we offer up low-fat substitutions in this recipe, feel free to replace items with other low-fat cheeses or a variety of vegetables if you feel creative in your own cooking.
To prepare low-fat macaroni and cheese, you will need:
- Ten ounces uncooked whole wheat macaroni pasta
- Three tablespoons olive oil
- Two tablespoons whole wheat flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Three-and-a-half cups non-fat milk
- Five ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Four ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- Two ounces parmesan cheese
- One red bell pepper, sliced
- Three ounces fresh spinach leaves
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a rolling boil. Cook the whole wheat macaroni according to the package directions. Strain the macaroni and set aside.
- Pour olive oil into a large saucepan over medium high heat. Cook the red bell pepper for about five minutes, or until tender.
- Add the flour and gradually whisk in the non-fat milk, stirring frequently to prevent lumps until the mixture has thickened. Adjust the heat to low.
- While on a low heat setting, add the low-fat cheddar and Gruyere cheeses. Stir non-stop until the cheese melts.
- As you remove the cheese sauce from heat, quickly stir in the fresh spinach. Pour the cheese and vegetable mixture into the whole wheat macaroni pasta.
- Toss two ounces of Parmesan cheese into the low-fat macaroni and cheese. Add freshly cracked black pepper and salt and serve immediately.