Love spring rolls? Step outside the box and learn how to make lumpia! Lumpia is the Filipino version of a traditional Asian spring roll. It is a delicious mixture of meat and vegetables rolled into a thin wrapper, and can be served as an appetizer or side dish. There are quite a few versions of lumpia in Filipino, Vietnamese, and Indonesian cultures. The recipe that follows is for Lumpia "Shanghai", which is traditionally filled with ground prok or beef, minced onions or carrots, and a variety of spices. This recipe can also be personalized to suit your tastes (see tips).
Things You’ll Need:
- 1 package (usually 25) lumpia wrappers
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- small (1” square) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Place ground pork in a medium skillet and cook over medium heat until browned all the way through. After meat is cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except wrappers). Stir thoroughly until mixture is uniform.
- If desired, cut the wrappers in half to make smaller, neater rolls. Place a wrapper on a flat surface, then spoon about a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the center of the wrapper. Roll the wrapper over the meat like a cigar, and moisten the last inch or two of the wrapper with water before completing the wrap. Use this same process to fill all wrappers.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Using tongs, place 3 or 4 rolls in the hot oil and fry to a golden brown, turning frequently.
Place fried lumpia on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce. They’re delicious!
- Any ground meat may be substituted for the ground pork.
- Garlic powder and ginger powder may be substituted for fresh.
- Try a mixture of your own favorite vegetables. Try green peas, bean sprouts, red peppers, or even corn!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.