How To Make A Luxury Cat Bed
Wondering how to make a luxury cat bed that won’t cost a fortune? By using orthopedic products designed for humans you can achieve the comfort of a luxury cat bed without the expense typical of store-bought equivalents. An easy-to-make cover will impart a luxurious look and feel to your cat bed, especially with an easy to add tassel border. Just follow these steps to make this luxury cat bed for your purring pet.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- King-size orthopedic pillow for humans
- Vinyl dust proof pillow cover or allergy pillow cover
- Microfiber or ultrasuede fabric
- Tassel fringe
- Thread to match your fabric
- Sewing needle
- Sewing pins
- Sewing machine (optional)
Follow these steps to make this luxury cat bed:
- Prepare the luxury cat bed pillow. The most important element in making a luxury cat bed is to ensure high comfort level. Choose a king-size orthopedic pillow that is flat without neck curvature formed into the pillow poem. Cover the pillow with a vinyl dust proof pillow case if you are concerned that the luxury cat bed might become soiled with time. However, bear in mind that vinyl will make a little noise as your cat steps on the bed. If your cat is easily startled, a fabric allergy pillow cover is better.
- Preparing the luxury cat bed cover. In making a luxury cat bed it is important to avoid the temptation to choose cover fabrics based on beauty alone. Your cat is likely to shed on the bed and only a fur-resistant fabric will keep the luxury cat bed looking clean and beautiful overtime. Microfiber or ultrasuede are excellent fabrics for the cat bed cover. Lay the fabric on your work table. Rest the covered pillow over it and cut the fabric to fit around the pillow with a 1/2 inch margin for hemming the cover. Press the pillow down flat and take your time making sure the fabric you cut will accommodate the volume of the pillow.
- Add the zipper. You will now have 1 large rectangle of fabric for your luxury cat bed cover. Fold the fabric in half (lengthwise or widthwise depending on how you cut the fabric), and separate the 2 sides of the cover with scissors. Lay the sides one on top of the other with the back of the fabric facing outward. Insert the zipper into one of the length sides and secure with sewing pins, then sew by hand or with a sewing machine.
- Add the tassel fringe. Although optional, the tassel fringe adds glamour to the luxury cat bed and is recommended. Open the zipper and keep the 2 rectangles of fabric (which are now connected by the zipper) with the back facing outward. Cut the tassel fringe to the length of each of the luxury cat bed cover sides then insert into place. Be sure to face the tassels into the pillow and line the fringe edge with the edge of the pillow cover. Secure with sewing pins and sew all three sides until you connect with the zipper.
- Make the luxury cat bed. Turn the cover over, insert the pillow and zip up. Keep your luxury cat bed clean by brushing the fur off with a rubber brush or by vacuuming. Freshen the bed’s fragrance by spraying it weekly with fabric softener diluted in water.