You don’t have to be a Jewish to learn how to make Matzo (or Matzah) ball soup. Matzo balls are made from matzo meal that is mixed into dough, rolled into a ball, and dropped into a thin boiling chicken broth. Matzo or Matzah ball soup (also known as Jewish penicillin) has a reputation for healing what ails you. Give it a try.
To make Matzo Mall soup, you will need:
- ½ cup Matzah meal
- two eggs
- two tablespoons oil or melted chicken fat (schmaltz)
- two tablespoons water
- two quarts chicken broth
- one cup baby carrots chopped
- three celery stalks chopped
- two tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
Beat the eggs, oil, and water together with a whisk or fork in a large bowl. Add the Matzoh meal and chopped parsley slowly to the mixture. Stir the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth. Let the mixture stand.
Pour the chicken broth into a pot and bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir in the carrots and celery and simmer to a very light boil.
Stir the Matzoh mixture again. Wet your hands with water and place approximately two tablespoons of the Matzoh mixture in your palm, roll into a ball, and drop the Matzoh ball carefully into the simmering chicken broth.
Simmer the Matzoh balls in the broth for fifteen minutes until they float on top of the broth.
- Season the Matzoh ball soup to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. A good cook lets each person decide for themselves if they want pepper in their food. Some people are allergic to pepper.
- Use care when dropping the Matzoh balls into the boiling broth. Avoid splashes that can cause serious burns. The Matzoh dough is sticky and will stick to your hands if you forget to wet them before rolling.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.