How To Make Meatball Appetizers
Would you like to know how to make meatball appetizers for an upcoming party or potluck? Meatballs are tasty, quick, bite sized appetizers that can made ahead for the perfect addition to any meal or buffet. Using store-bought, packaged meatballs with a homemade sauce gives this recipe a slow cooked, home style taste with half the work.
Meatball Appetizer Ingredients
- 3 Pounds of Frozen, Heat and Serve Style Packaged Meatballs
- 3 c. Catsup
- 2 c. Light Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ c. Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 TBSP. Liquid Smoke
Meatball Appetizer Preparation
- Prepare the meatballs according to the package instructions. Be sure to cook thoroughly, but do not overcook as the meatballs will become tough and dry and will not absorb the sauce. Keep the meatballs warm by covering in a warm oven.
- Prepare the sauce. In a large, nonstick saucepan, add the catsup, light brown sugar, garlic powder, pepper, onion, lemon juice and Liquid Smoke. Stir to completely combine the ingredients.
- Bring the sauce to a low boil. Once you have done this, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking.
- Add the meatballs to a preheated slow cooker. Set the cooker on its lowest setting. Pour the warm sauce over the meatballs, stirring to coat. Allow the meatballs to sit in the sauce, stirring occasionally for at least an hour prior to serving.
- Serve the meatballs while warm for best results. Allow guests to use toothpick skewers to enjoy the appetizers. In addition to their role as appetizers, these meatballs also work well as a main dish meal accompanied by potatoes and green vegetables.