Making cornbread from a boxed mix is convenient, but learning how to make Mexican cornbread from scratch will teach you the process for preparing the moist and tasty treat as it was meant to be made. Many ingredients are a must, such as corn and cheese, but the made-from-scratch cornbread recipe can be varied to create both sweet and savory versions. However you choose to make your Mexican cornbread, with a few ingredients and about an hour of your time, you can create a delicious side dish great for serving at nearly any meal.
To make Mexican cornbread from scratch, you'll need:
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- three tablespoons all-purpose flour
- one teaspoon white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- two eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup oil
- two cups fresh corn, removed from the cob
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese, cheddar or pepper jack works well
- one tablespoon chopped onion
- ¼ cup seeded, chopped jalapenos or green chili peppers
How to prepare Mexican cornbread from scratch:
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly grease a nine by thirteen inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir until combined, then make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the fresh corn, cheese, onion and jalapenos or green chili peppers. Mix only until incorporated and be careful to not over-mix.
- Pour the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle additional shredded cheese over the top of the batter if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. The surface should be golden brown.
- Allow to cool, then slice and serve.
Variations on Mexican cornbread made from scratch:
- To make Mexican cornbread muffins, pour the batter into a large zipper-style plastic bag, cutting one corner off on the bottom. Squeeze the bag to pipe the batter into lightly greased muffin tins, filling each about halfway. Bake for about twenty minutes or until lightly browned.
- Vary the type of cheese used, including substituting low-fat varieties if desired.
- For a sweeter Mexican cornbread, skip the onion and jalapenos, adding two tablespoons brown sugar and one teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary.
- Cream-style canned corn can be used in place of fresh corn.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …