Do you want to know how to make Mexican cornbread? Are you looking for some moist, delicious, and savory cornbread to go along with your chili con carne or a big pot of pinto beans? This article will answer all of your needs and more. What is even more important than the basic recipe is the fact that in this recipe, it is easy to mix and match ingredients.
Some people use fresh corn and some use cream style corn in their Mexican cornbread. This recipe can be interchanged with the different cheeses used also. Although cheddar cheese is usually used, it is extremely delicious with mozzarella or longhorn jack cheese. Cornbread has been a staple in many homes for centuries. It is as much part of any meal as flour or corn tortillas are. Once you learn how to make this cornbread, it will be a regular side dish for years to come.
- 1 cup of corn meal (yellow or white)
- 1/2 cup of white flour
- 1/2 cup of brown flour (all white flour can be used)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- 1 Tablespoon of corn oil
- Kernels from 1 ear of cooked fresh corn
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced and deseeded
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of soda
- 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl, place the corn meal, flours, salt and soda. Mix all the dry ingredients with a large wooden spoon.
- Add in the slightly beaten egg, milk, oil, and the honey. Mix thoroughly with the big wooden spoon.
- Add in the corn, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, and the diced jalapeno pepper. Mix the batter slowly as not to over beat the mixture and make it tough.
- In a greased rectangle cooking pan, pour the corn meal batter in. Top the Mexican corn meal batter with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until the corn bread is golden brown. Use a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread to test for doneness.
Variations for the Mexican Cornbread
- Although this is a typical recipe, the recipe can be interchanged. Instead of using corn on the cob, use one small can of cream corn.
- The oil can be changed to olive oil, shortening or canola oil.
- Mozzarella, jack cheese, or any easy melting cheese can be interchanged with the recipe.
- Two tablespoons of canned green chilies can be interchanged with the fresh jalapeno pepper also.
- Bacon or turkey can be cooked and crumbled into the Mexican corn bread as desired and some even like to have a bit of pimento.
This corn bread has many possibilities, so try and experiment and see which one your family craves the most.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."