Many people want to learn how to make Mexican empanadas. Empanadas are tasty, meaty appetizers. You can enjoy empanadas without dealing with the hassle of going to a restaurant. Making empanadas will take a bit of time, but it is well worth it.
To make Mexican empanadas, you will need:
- 3 cups flour and a little extra for kneading
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 3 tbsp. shortening
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- Prepare dough ingredients. You will need two separate bowls to mix your ingredients in. In the first bowl mix the vinegar, egg, and egg white. Beat them together and set them aside. Sift your flour properly with a sifter. Now place your flour and salt in the other bowl.
- Mix dough. The next step in making this empanada dough, is to cut in the shortening. Using a butter knife, cut the shortening into the flour mixture. Now you will need to make an indention in the middle of the mixture. It should be something like a well. Pour the egg mixture into the well, and mix it in with a fork. The dough should be stiff.
- Knead and wrap. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Next you will need to knead the dough until it is smooth. There should be no lumps in the dough. Wrap your dough in plastic for about an hour. It must be used within one day.
- Prepare the filling. Place a frying pan on high heat. Add a little bit of oil to coat the skillet and let it heat up for one minute. You will then need to add the chopped onions to the pan and cook for one minute. Stir them as they cook. When they start to caramelize, add the the ground beef to the pan. Brown the beef, and mix thoroughly. You don't want huge beef chunks. Just before the meat is done, you will need to add the salt, pepper, and garlic salt. The beef is done when it is fully brown. Drain any extra grease from the beef. Before completing the next step you should preheat your oven at 400 degrees.
- Role out dough. To start constructing the Mexican empanada, you will need to roll out the dough. Place the dough on a surface sprinkled with flour. Roll it out until it is about 1/8 in. thick. Cut the dough into circles that are five inches in diameter.
- Assemble empanadas. Take a spoon of the meat filling and place it in each circular disk. Wet around the outside of the dough disk with a wet towel. This will later help the dough stick. Fold the dough in half, leaving the filling in the middle. Be careful to make sure no filling is hanging out. It should be in the middle of the empanada. Use a fork to press in the edges of the empanada. You need to be sure that they will not bust open.
- Bake empanadas. Place your Mexican empanadas on a greased baking sheet. They should be placed in the preheated oven for fifteen to twenty minutes. The empanadas are done when they are golden brown.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …