Do you want to know how to make a Mexican piñata for your next party? Piñatas were customarily the shape of a star and were packed with fruit, candy, and small toys. Today they are designed in all types of shapes, including animals, plants, and flowers. At parties, the Mexican piñatas are hung in the air and children are blindfolded and take turns swinging at the Mexican piñatas. Eventually, the Mexican piñata is hit hard enough and it breaks releasing the candy and toys that it contained.
To make a Mexican pinata you will need the following items:
- A stack of newspaper
- Two cups of water
- Papier-mâché paste
- Large balloon
- A large mixing bowl
- Decorative notions
- Small novelty toys
- Small piece if candy
- Prepare the newspapers to make the paper mache for the Mexican piñata. Tear 30 to 40 newspaper pages into sections that are 1-inch wide and 6- to eight inches in length.
- Make the paste for the paper mache for the Mexican piñata. Stir in water with your paper mache paste in a large mixing bowl.
- Blow up your large balloon. Blow up the balloon until full, tie it off and set it aside. This will be your base for the Mexician piñata.
- Begin to make the Mexican Piñata. Dip the newspaper strips one at a time into the glue, covering them completely on both sides. Spread each newspaper strip around the balloon until it is covered. Be sure to leave a space around the knot of the balloon that will later be filled with candy. Allow this first layer to dry for several minutes.
- Layer the Mexican piñata two or three more times. Repeat step number four a few more times, allowing each new layer to dry thoroughly before adding another layer.
- Remove the air from the balloon. Pop the balloon with a pin once your newspaper has dried completely.
- Design your Mexican piñata. Decorate your piñata using paint, crepe paper, stickers and whatever else your heart desires. Be sure to paint first, allowing the paint to dry before gluing on your streamers and other decorations.
- Add a string to hang the Mexican piñata. Poke four holes in the top of the pinata near the candy hole. Insert string into these holes and pull through to hang the pinata securely.
- Fill the Mexican piñata with candy or small toys. Fill your pinata with candy and cover the hole with glue and crepe paper.
- This project can be messy, so prepare a covered work area prior to making the Mexican pinata.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.