Learning how to make milk at home out of rice, almonds, soy, or other ingredients is a healthy alternative to buying regular cow's milk from the store. Whether you are suffering from a milk allergy that brings you intestinal discomfort, are interested in cutting dairy milk out of your diet because of animal rights issues or just like the unique taste of dairy milk alternatives, these three recipes will teach you how to make milk at home. All three taste great on cereal and can be adapted for baking too. All of these homemade recipes are similar but have unique taste profiles. A good way to discover a way to make milk at home that will work for you is to try different recipes until you find one that you like the best.
In order to make milk at home, you will need:
- rice, soy beans, or almonds
- a blender
- cheese cloth
- flavoring (you can substitute the vanilla extract in these recipes with non-dairy cocoa powder)
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of uncooked rice (white or brown)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Bring the water to a boil, add the rice and vanilla extract. Cook until rice is extremely soft.
- Let cool. Transfer the mixture to blender.
- Blend until smooth. Let stand for 45 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through cheese cloth. Reserve the liquid.
- Refrigerate milk.
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of soy beans
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- Soak the soy beans overnight in a large bowl.
- Place beans in blender. Add four cups of water.
- Blend until the beans have broken down completely.
- Strain the mixture thoroughly through a cheesecloth. Reserve the liquid.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Add vanilla extract.
- Heat to a low boil. Continue cooking for five minutes.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate.
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract
- Soak almonds for four to eight hours.
- Drain the almonds. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- Transfer to blender. Add three cups of water.
- Blend on low setting until the nuts break down.
- Strain through cheesecloth. Reserve liquid.
- Add vanilla extract and refrigerate.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.