Learn how to make a Mombasa Cocktail and transport your dinner guests to the Indian Ocean off the coast of East Africa. Named for the second largest city in Kenya, the Mombasa Cocktail offers a fruity, coastal taste using lemon juice, raspberries, vanilla, and vodka.
The Mombasa Cocktail hasn’t been around as long as classic cocktails like the Martini or the Daiquiri, so there aren’t as many “rules” to follow in terms of the glass you should use, or how it should be served. You’re free to tailor its presentation to your own tastes and party atmosphere. The following recipe is for a single Mombasa Cocktail, but it can easily be converted into pitcher-sized proportions for large gatherings.
You will need:
- Crushed Ice
- 3 oz. Vanilla Flavored Vodka (or regular Vodka with 1-2 drops Vanilla Extract added per liquid ounce.)
- 1 oz. Orange Juice
- 1 oz. Raspberry Nectar (usually found at your local liquor store.)
- ½ oz. Lemon Juice
- ½ oz. Green Chartreuse (located at your local liquor store with the liqueurs.)
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail glass of choice
- Add crushed ice to cocktail shaker. Leave enough room for liquid ingredients.
- Add vanilla vodka, orange juice, raspberry nectar, lemon juice, and chartreuse. Shake vigorously to ensure all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Strain mixture into your cocktail glass and serve! You can also garnish the glass with orange or lemon wedges for an added touch.
Alternative for dinner parties and other large gatherings: to convert this recipe into pitcher-sized portions, multiply each ingredient by 6. Mix ingredients and pour into a crushed ice-filled pitcher. Makes approximately ½ gallon.
Tip: Green Chartreuse is an herbal liqueur. It is typically very sweet, but with strong vegetal qualities. Serving temperature is important, as this liqueur can be very pungent when served at room temperature. Be sure to keep chilled.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.