How To Make Mutton Curry
This recipe for how to make mutton curry is easy and has the taste sensations of Indian condiments and spices in a creamy yogurt base. Goat meat is normally used when making mutton curry. Make mutton curry, also known as shahi korma, for an Indian themed party or buffet. This recipe can be used as is or you can add tomatoes and chopped potatoes in the mixture early in the cooking process to have a heartier mutton curry. A homemade garam masala recipe is included in this article for those who want the fresh, authentic version of this Indian spice mixture.
Ingredients for mutton curry:
- 1 lb. goat meat, cleaned and cubed in ½-inch pieces
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 diced garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp. saffron
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. coriander seed
- ½ tsp. ground chili pepper
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- Marinate goat meat in one onion, coriander seeds, chili pepper, salt and one teaspoon of garam masala. Place the in resealable bag and refrigerate for two hours.
- Saute the garlic and one onion in melted butter for two minutes.
- Add heavy cream, saffron, almonds, one teaspoon of garam masala and salt. Simmer for one minute.
- Mix in the marinade and meat. Stir well on medium-low heat for one minute.
- Taste test and add any needed ingredients or spices for taste.
- Add yogurt and simmer all ingredients for twenty minutes or until done.
- Serve mutton curry over rice with naan Indian bread on the side.
Garam masala is an Indian spice mixture made with distinct, fresh ground spices. Add more of the flavors you wish to enhance the taste. This recipe should be made in sparing amounts and stored well. The fresher the better, especially when making mutton curry.
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup green cardamom pods
- 1/2 cup cumin seed
- 1/2 cup black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup cloves
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds
- Dry the ingredients in an oven at 150 degrees. Do not let them turn brown.
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods.
- Break cinnamon sticks into smaller pieces.
- Combine ingredients until they are well mixed.
- Pulse for several minutes until completely ground to a powder.