Learn how to make a necklace from vintage lace for a unique look to this old-fashioned trim. Vintage lace comes in many designs and sizes though it is usually found in only a few colors: cream and white. It can be intricate and tiny, like tatting that is used to trim the edges of delicate linens. Vintage lace was also made to resemble flat ribbon that was sewn onto dresses and blouses to embellish around cuffs, collars, and hems. Use this vintage lace that resembles flat ribbon to make a choker-style necklace with a vintage button as the focal piece.
To make a necklace from vintage lace, you will need:
- 18 to 24 inches of vintage lace
- 2 or 3 small silver snaps
- needle and thread
- vintage button
- tape measure
- Measure your neck. If you'll be wearing the necklace, measure your neck using a cloth seamstress tape measure. If someone else will wear the necklace, measure their neck. Write down the number.
- Cut the vintage lace. Add 1-1/2 inches to this number for overlap or hemming. This addition will provide enough overlap so the snaps can be sewn on each side and still fit on the neck comfortably.
- Fold over the edges on the two ends. Leaving enough overlap for the snaps on one side, about 1/2 inch, then fold the vintage lace to hem it and using a whip stitch, sew down the ends so they do not unravel.
- Sew on the snaps. Put the lace around your neck to ensure the fit is good then sew on the snap on the underside of the lace on the overlapping side. Then match up the other side of the snap and sew it on the other end of the lace. Repeat till all of the snaps are sewn in place. For very wide lace, use two or three snaps. For narrow lace, one snap should be enough.
- Sew on the vintage button. Sew the button to the center of the front of the vintage lace necklace as the focal piece.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.