If you love the famous orange chicken at Panda Express, you may want to learn how to make orange chicken like Panda Express at home. Although the real recipe is a secret, the flavor of this copycat recipe comes pretty close to the real thing. For a healthier twist, stir-fry the chicken instead of deep frying it to get all the tastiness of Panda Express' orange chicken sauce, but without the extra fat.
To make orange chicken like Panda Express, you will need:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1/2 c. + 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 c. chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp. rice wine
- 3/8 c. orange juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. minced orange zest
- 1/4 c. water
- peanut or canola oil (for frying)
- deep fryer or heavy pot
- paper towels
- slotted spoon
- wok or saucepan
How to make orange chicken like Panda Express:
- Beat egg with salt and pepper. Add the chicken pieces and coat well.
- Combine flour and 1/2 c. cornstarch. Add the chicken pieces to the flour mixture and toss until completely coated.
- Fry chicken in 375 degree oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Do not overcook. Drain on paper towels.
Heat sesame oil in a wok over high heat. Stir fry ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add red pepper flakes, green onion and rice wine.
- Combine orange juice, sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth and vinegar. Add to pan along with chicken. Stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Mix 1 tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 c. water. Stir with a fork until smooth, then add to wok. Heat until sauce is thickened.
- Serve over rice with a side of broccoli or other fresh vegetables.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.