If you're not a fan of making food out of a box, you should learn how to make pancakes with flour. Boxed mixes are convenient but the flavor really falls short. When you make pancakes with flour instead, you will make a big impression on your breakfast guests. Pancakes are easy enough to make from scratch that you can do it while you're still half-asleep or recovering from a late night out.
To make pancakes with flour, you will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- griddle or non-stick skillet
- turning spatula
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir well. Add the flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten. The batter should be slightly lumpy for best results.
- Cook the pancakes. Lightly butter a griddle or non-stick skillet and heat it up over medium heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake. Once the edges start to bubble, gently slide a turning spatula underneath the pancake and flip it. Cook the other side until golden brown. Serve the pancakes hot.
- Add fruit to the batter before cooking for a different twist such as fresh bananas or blueberries. Walnuts and pecans are also great additions.
- Substitute buttermilk for regular milk if you prefer extra fluffy pancakes.
- Do not overstir when making pancakes with flour. This can lead to dense, chewy pancakes.
- If you don't have butter on hand or want to save a few calories, use vegetable oil or margarine instead.
- Experiment with different flavors of extract to suit your tastes such as banana, butter, or almond extract.
A hot breakfast is a must on a Sunday morning. Served with bacon or sausage and maple syrup, these pancakes are the perfect way to start the day. It's a great idea to keep the ingredients for pancakes on hand, but this recipe is also flexible enough that you can easily make substitutions if you don't have exactly what you need.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …