Want to know how to make pastel de tres leches? This cake is simple and easy to make. Pastel de tres leches is a cake of Latin American origin and popular in many Spanish speaking countries. It literally means: "three milk cake" because it is soaked in three milks, evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream. You can use either butter cake or a sponge cake. Some countries, such as those in the Caribbean, use cream of coconut instead of condensed milk. Here is a recipe for pastel de tres leches that you can make at home.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Three milks (12 oz. evaporated milk, 14 oz. sweetened and condensed milk, 1/2 cup of heavy cream)
- Whipped Topping (1 cup of heavy cream, 1 tbsp. of vanilla, 2 tbsp. of sugar)
- Get out two bowls. In one bowl, sift together your cake flour, salt and baking soda. In your second bowl, blend and mix together your oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add your eggs to your second bowl and mix well. Drop each egg in one at a time until well blended.
- Combine 1/2 cup of your whole milk into your egg mixture. Pour in your flour mixture slowly and beat until all lumpiness is eradicated.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour your cake batter into a pregreased cake pan.
- Bake your pastel de tres leches cake for about 35-40 minutes. You can test for doneness with a cake tester. If your insert your cake tester in and it comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Remove your cake from the oven once it is baked and cool on wire racks for about 30 minutes.
- Mix together your three milks. Blend your evaporated milk, your sweetened condensed milk and your heavy cream together in a bowl until well incorporated.
- Pour your three milks carefully over your pastel de tres leches cake. Make sure your cake has cooled before doing so and ensure you coat the entire cake with your three milks.
- Place your cake in your refrigerator. Let it set for about an hour.
- Prepare your whipped topping by beating your heavy cream, vanilla extract and sugar together. Once it forms stiff peaks, your whipped topping is done.
- Remove your pastel de tres leches cake from your refrigerator after an hour.
- Frost your cake with your whipped topping. Just a light layer. You can sprinkle with cinnamon or top with fresh berries and mint.
- Enjoy your pastel de tres leches cake!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.