Knowing how to make pepper steak is something all people should have in their culinary arsenal. Pepper steak is an easy to make dish that makes a tasty week night dinner. You can use a variety of meat cuts for this dish, though flank steak or rib eye is going to hold up better to the high heat cooking involved. Served over rice, this tasty dish can go from stove top to table in about thirty minutes.
What you'll need to prepare Pepper Steak:
- 1 pound flank steak or boneless rib eye steak
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (white vinegar will work in a pinch)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cleaned of seeds and sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned of seeds and sliced thinly
- 1 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- heavy skillet
Prepare the Meat Partially freeze the meat so that it becomes easier to slice thinly. After about fifteen minutes in the freezer, thinly slice the meat against the grain and set to the side.
Prepare the Vegetables Cut the bell peppers into strips so that they're of uniform thickness, about 1/4 inch wide.
Marinate the Meat Combine the soy sauce, dry sherry, rice wine vinegar and ginger. Combine well, then add the steak slices and stir well coating the steak. Allow the steak to marinate for about twenty minutes.
Stir Fry Heat the vegetable oil and the sesame oil over medium high heat until very hot. Drain the steak and reserve the liquid. Add the steak to the skillet and cook, stirring often, for about one minute. Transfer the meat to a platter.
Cook the Vegetables Add the garlic, onions, mushrooms and peppers to the hot skillet and cook over medium high heat until the vegetables are still crisp tender, about 3 minutes.
- Make the Sauce Remove the vegetables from the skillet and set them with the steak slices. Add the beef broth to the skillet and stir to loosen any bits sticking to the bottom of the pan. In a small bowl or dish combine the cornstarch with the water and mix until combined. Add to the beef broth and bring it to a boil. When the sauce is thickened return the meat and vegetables to the skillet and stir well to coat. Serve and enjoy!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!