Knowing how to make pickled beets at home will greatly enhance your condiment and snack choices, and even better is the fact that you make picked beets with leftover roasted beets. Once prepared, you can serve them on the side of just about anything. The natural sweetness of the beets still comes through the sourness of the pickling spices. Pickled beets are the best of both worlds and they make a wonderful low-calorie, low-fat anytime snack. Try them; you will be hooked!
To make pickled beets, you will need:
- 6 roasted beets
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup tarragon wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup water
- A knife
- A medium-sized bowl
- A small pot
- Jars with seals
- 1 pair of latex gloves
- Boil the tarragon wine vinegar, salt, sugar and water together. This is your pickling spice and imparts the flavor into the beets.
- Remove the skin from the roasted beets with your fingers while the pickling spice is coming to a boil. This is messy and will dye your fingers bright red, so make sure to wear the latex gloves while removing the beet skins.
- Slice the peeled beets thinly and set aside in the bowl. A thin slice of beet ensures your pickles will be crisp after you have finished preparing the pickled beets.
- Chop the onion into thin wedges and set aside in the bowl. Slicing the onions thinly allows the onions to pickle properly as well.
- Place the onion and beet slices into the jar, alternating the layers. You want the layers to be mixed to have a good consistent flavor throughout the pickled beets.
- Pour the boiling pickling spice mix over the beets and onions. The pickling spice mix has to be hot to penetrate into the beets to pickle the beets properly.
- Seal the jar and place the pickled beets in the fridge. The beets need to be refrigerated for a minimum of three days to be properly pickled.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.