Knowing how to make pickled beets at home will greatly enhance your condiment and snack choices, and even better is the fact that you make picked beets with leftover roasted beets. Once prepared, you can serve them on the side of just about anything. The natural sweetness of the beets still comes through the sourness of the pickling spices. Pickled beets are the best of both worlds and they make a wonderful low-calorie, low-fat anytime snack. Try them; you will be hooked!
To make pickled beets, you will need:
- 6 roasted beets
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup tarragon wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup water
- A knife
- A medium-sized bowl
- A small pot
- Jars with seals
- 1 pair of latex gloves
- Boil the tarragon wine vinegar, salt, sugar and water together. This is your pickling spice and imparts the flavor into the beets.
- Remove the skin from the roasted beets with your fingers while the pickling spice is coming to a boil. This is messy and will dye your fingers bright red, so make sure to wear the latex gloves while removing the beet skins.
- Slice the peeled beets thinly and set aside in the bowl. A thin slice of beet ensures your pickles will be crisp after you have finished preparing the pickled beets.
- Chop the onion into thin wedges and set aside in the bowl. Slicing the onions thinly allows the onions to pickle properly as well.
- Place the onion and beet slices into the jar, alternating the layers. You want the layers to be mixed to have a good consistent flavor throughout the pickled beets.
- Pour the boiling pickling spice mix over the beets and onions. The pickling spice mix has to be hot to penetrate into the beets to pickle the beets properly.
- Seal the jar and place the pickled beets in the fridge. The beets need to be refrigerated for a minimum of three days to be properly pickled.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.