Learning how to make pickled eggs is fairly easy. When you make pickled eggs, you will need to choose a place for storage. Consumers should be aware that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has warned that pickled eggs allowed to sit for more than two hours at temperatures above 39 degrees Fahrenheit have been known to have the potential to cause botulism. It is for this reason that it is recommended that pickled eggs be stored in the refrigerator.
Gather ingredients. To make pickled eggs in the amount of one quart, you will need the ingredients listed below.
- Dozen peeled hard boiled eggs
- Two cups of vinegar
- Two tablespoons canning salt
- One tablespoon sugar
- One-half tablespoon dill seed
- One-quarter tablespoon ground mustard seed
- One clove finely sliced garlic
- One finely sliced hot red pepper
- Prepare the brine. Place all ingredients, except the eggs in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for three to four minutes. Remove the brine for that you will use to make pickled eggs from heat.
- Prepare the eggs. While the brine is boiling, pack the eggs into a quart size canning jar.
- Strain the brine. After you strain the brine, you may want to take out some of the peppers and garlic from the strainer. Place these in the jar with the eggs so that they are packed around the sides of the eggs rather than on top of the eggs. This will help to add some flavor as you make pickled eggs.
- Pickle the eggs. Pour the brine over the top of the eggs so that is comes to within a half inch from the top of the jar. Seal the jar and place in the refrigerator. Allow the eggs to sit for a week in the refrigerator before eating. Be sure to shake the jar of pickled eggs once a day.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.