Need to know how to make a picnic basket? Nothing beats a picnic with friends, family or your significant other. Making a picnic basket doesn't have to be hard. Just follow these easy guidelines to make sure you have everything you need for a successful picnic.
To make a picnic basket, you will need:
- A picnic basket
- An insulated bag
- A main course
- Dishes suitable for a picnic
- A tablecloth or picnic blanket
- Appetizers. When making your picnic basket, appetizers are not always required. Good choices for picnic basket appetizers are sliced or cubed cheeses, sliced or cubed meats such as turkey, salami and ham, an assortment of washed and prepared fresh vegetables with dip or an assortment of washed and prepared fruits with a dip.
- The main course. The picnic would not be complete without a fabulous main course. When making your picnic basket, choose easily portable foods that are also easy to eat. Good main course options can include cold fried chicken with potato salad, slaw and a nice homemade three-bean salad. Another option is a large poor boy or submarine sandwich, cut into wedges and paired with potato or tortilla chips. Choose your main course according to those who will be joining you on the picnic, making it as elegant or as simple as needed.
- Drinks. Refreshment is important when making your picnic basket. Choose easily portable drinks to put into the basket. Add a bottle of pre-chilled wine for your significant other or juice boxes for the kids. Always add a few extra containers of water when making your picnic basket, just in case anyone gets extra thirsty on the outing.
- Dessert. Don't forget to leave room for dessert when making your picnic basket. Pack up an elegant strawberry shortcake with decadent real whipped cream for your sweetie, or add cookies or individual fruit pies for the kids.
- The basics. When making your picnic basket, you'll need to make sure that you add the basics to the basket. Always pack the appropriate cutlery, dishes and napkins needed for your menu. For a sandwich and chips, with juice boxes and cookies for the kids, all that may be required are some sturdy napkins and a knife to cut the sandwiches into smaller pieces if needed. For a more elegant meal with your sweetie, more dishes and cutlery will be required. And don't forget any condiments if your menu requires them. Bring along a sturdy picnic blanket if you are going to a location with no picnic tables, or pack a nice tablecloth if you will be using a table for the picnic.
- Food safety. When making your picnic basket, don't forget about food safety. It is always best to put cold items into an insulated bag before adding them to the basket. This will ensure that the food does not become spoiled before serving. This is especially important when bringing along dishes that contain mayonnaise, such as potato salad, or with cool desserts, such as strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …