Learning how to make potato dumplings is easy. The hardest part is not getting burned when dropping the luscious doughy balls into a bubbling Irish stew to cook. Dumplings can be fried or steamed, as well, and can be made with other types of dough. After mastering this savory dumpling recipe, why not branch out and make some dessert dumplings that are served with ice cream? Chinese style dumplings are popular, as well, and learning how to cook them can make a Chinese take-out style dinner a tradition in your home. This recipe makes traditional potato dumplings that can be served in a number of different ways.
To make easy potato dumplings you will need:
- 8 medium potatoes
- 3 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Peel the potatoes. Boil them in a large pot until tender.
- Drain the potatoes. Rub them lightly with a clean cloth to get them as dry as possible.
- Mash the potatoes completely and let them cool. Meanwhile, lightly beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the potatoes, salt, bread crumbs, and nutmeg to the bowl. Mix well.
- Add flour to the mixture a little bit at a time. Stop adding flour when the dough is manageable.
- With floured hands, roll the dough into small balls about the size of your palm. Carefully drop the balls into boiling water, stew, or soup. (Alternatively, you can fry or steam.)
- When the dumplings rise to the top of the liquid, cover with a lid. Let cook for an additional five to seven minutes.
- Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon. Serve with the rest of the meal.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.