How To Make Potato Pancakes
Need to know how to make potato pancakes? Potato pancakes are a delicious German specialty, and learning how to make potato pancakes is delightfully easy. These tasty treats are a nice change from a traditional sweet pancake, and though they are good for breakfast, they also can be used as a great side dish for meals. The best thing about this recipe is that it serves as a great way to reuse leftovers. Everyone always has extra mashed potatoes after a large meal, and this is a perfect way to prevent waste without having to eat the same old thing night after night.
To make potato pancakes you will need:
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- Cooking oil
- Sour cream
- Combine leftover potatoes, egg, flour, onions, and milk in a mixing bowl. Blend all ingredients evenly with a wire whisk or using your electric mixer on medium speed.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Ladle mixture into pan, and press down with spatula to flatten.
- Cook pancakes for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the pancake over and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat process until all the pancakes are cooked.
If necessary, keep warm in oven at a low temperature (about 200 degrees) while the pancakes are finishing.
- Serve immediately. Top with a tablespoon of sour cream and garnish with chives. Try this as a side dish with pork chops and apple sauce.