Although laborious, if you love Chinese food, you'll want to know how to make prawn dumplings at home. Follow the instructions below to make a delicious Chinese appetizer of prawn dumplings, stuffed with delicately seasoned prawns (aka shrimp), bok choy, and savoy cabbage. Although not traditional, using a food processor to chop the vegetable ingredients into small pieces is a whole lot easier than by hand.
To make 50 prawn dumplings, you will need:
- 1 package of round dumpling wrappers. Head down to your local Oriental market to find these in the refrigerator section.
- 8 ounces of medium prawns
- 1/4 lb of bok choy, diced very finely
- 1/4 lb savoy cabbage
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- A frying pan
- Sesame oil
- A small bowl of water
- Prepare the prawns by removing the heads (if they're on) and the tails. Using a sharp knife, run a line right down the middle of the prawn and pull and discard the dark vein. Chop each prawn into eight or ten small pieces and place in large bowl.
Wash and rough chop the bok choy and savoy cabbage. Place into a food processor and process into a finely ground mixture. Add to bowl containing prawns.
- Mix the soy sauce and corn starch until dissolved. Add to the shrimp mixture and mix well to coat all ingredients.
- Lay one dumpling wrapper out on your working surface and cover the others with a damp paper towel to keep them from drying out. Add one teaspoon of the prawn mixture to the middle of the wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper by running a wet finger around the edge.
- Using your thumb and forefinger, create pleats in one side of the wrapper and press over onto the other side. Make sure that the dumpling is tightly sealed. If you're leery of making pleats, simply fold over one side of the wrapper to the other side and press down lightly with a fork to seal.
- Heat a tablespoon of sesame oil in a frying pan and add dumplings. Don't overcrowd the pan – they shouldn't touch. Lightly brown one side and then add a tablespoon of water and cover tightly to steam. Let steam four or five minutes. Uncover and enjoy!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.