How To Make Puppy Chow
Want to learn how to make puppy chow? This classic sweet snack might look like animal food, but it’s a favorite for human kids of all ages. Combining cereal, chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar makes for a delightful dessert or anytime treat. This is a fairly simple recipe for puppy chow, and you don’t even have to turn on your stove or oven!
Here are some things you’ll need to make puppy chow:
- Nine cups of rice cereal (Chex or Crispix)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- One cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- One cup powdered sugar, or as needed
- Put peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. It’s a good idea to cover the bowl with wax paper to avoid splatters.
- Microwave ingredients for about a minute. Stir to mix thoroughly and ensure all of the ingredients are melted.
- Add ½ teaspoon vanilla to melted concoction. Mix well.
- Pour the rice cereal into a large bowl. The bowl must be large enough to accommodate all of the ingredients and allow room for mixing.
- Slowly pour the melted concoction over the cereal. Stir to make sure that all of cereal is evenly covered. This part can be difficult, so it might be easier for you to start with a little cereal and a little of the melted concoction, and add more of each as you go.
- When all of the cereal is covered, sprinkle the powdered sugar over it. Toss the coated cereal as you add the powdered sugar to make sure it is all covered. Another option for this step is to place the powdered sugar and coated cereal into a large plastic bag and shake the puppy chow ingredients together.
- If your puppy chow is still hot, spread it on waxed paper to cool and harden before eating. Break apart any large chunks and store the puppy chow in an airtight container.