You'll be able to complement any pot roast (or red meat, for that matter) if you learn how to make a red wine jus. Red wine jus is just a fancy way of saying gravy made with red wine. Made properly through, a red wine jus will add just the right amount of "oomph" to that rump roast you've been cooking all day. Your date is sure to be impressed with your culinary skills when you learn how to make red wine jus. Any red wine will do, but depending on your taste, a good shiraz should work perfectly for your red wine gravy.
To make red wine jus, you will need:
- The pan your roast was cooking in, complete with all those juicy stuck to the bottom parts.
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- 1/2 bottle of decent red wine. Your red wine jus will be better if the ingredients are better. This doesn't mean that you have to purchase a $50 bottle of red wine to make your gravy, but don't buy something you wouldn't drink in a glass. You can purchase a fairly decent bottle of shiraz or cabernet for around $20. And, you're only using 1/2 bottle so enjoy the rest with our meal.
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of flour dissolved thoroughly in 3 teaspoons of cold water
- Place your pan over a medium heat and add garlic. Cook just one minute until the garlic is translucent.
- Add in the red wine, all at once. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up all those juicy bits that were stuck to the bottom of the pan and stir well.
- Reduce the flame to low and let the gravy reduce to about half. Don't boil too fast. A good gravy takes a while to make.
- Once reduced, add in the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Stir thoroughly.
Mix in the butter. Stir well until it's melted. The butter step can actually be skipped but it will add a nice shine to your red wine jus.
- Add in the flour slowly. Stir well until mixture is thickened.
- Pour in your gravy boat and serve immediately. This gravy will thicken as it cools so serve warm. Simply pour on top of a hefty slice of beef and enjoy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.