How To Make Reuben Sandwiches
Learn how to make reuben sandwiches like a chef. They 're easy to put together and grill in your own kitchen.
To make reuben sandwiches, you will need:
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 1/2 lb.of lean corned beef, sliced deli thin
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 cup of sauerkraut
- 4 tbsp. of Thousand Island dressing
- 1 large frying pan
- 1 colander
- 1 spatula
- 2 butter knives
- Heat up frying pan. Place frying pan on medium high heat on your stove top to grill the Reuben sandwiches.
- Prepare the sauerkraut. Place the sauerkraut in the colander and run cold water over it for two minutes. Then squeeze it till water stops dripping.
- Use butter knife to smear equal amounts of butter on bread. Butter one side only of each slice of bread.
- Turn bread over and use other butter knife to spread one tbsp. Thousand Island dressing on each slice of the Reuben sandwich.
- Place one half of the corned beef on one slice of bread over dressing. Repeat with remaining corned beef on one other bread slice so you will pile ingredients on one slice of bread for each Reuben sandwich.
- Put one slice of Swiss cheese over the corned beef. Repeat with another slice of cheese over other slice of bread with the corned beef to make your second Reuben sandwich.
- Divide sauerkraut into two portions. Place one portion over each slice of Swiss cheese.
- Add one slice of Swiss cheese over each portion of sauerkraut.
- Top each Reuben sandwich with remaining two slices of bread, dressing side down, butter side up.
- Place each Reuben sandwich in hot frying pan. Press gently downward with the spatula on the sandwich and cook for ten minutes on each side or until the bread turns golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Do not rinse the sauerkraut if you like it very tart but do rinse it or the sandwich will be too soggy.
Placing the sauerkraut between the two slices of cheese will hold the sandwich together more firmly and will help with heating the other ingredients as the cheese melts.