Learning how to make rhubarb wine can save you money while allowing you to customize the wine to your taste. Rhubarb wine has long been loved for it's complex flavor, ease of preparation and ability to blend well with other fruits. It goes great with heavy meals and a homemade bottle of rhubarb wine makes for a memorable gift. This article will show you step by step how to create refreshing, rhubarb wine from scratch.
To make rhubarb wine, you will need:
- 6 to 7 pounds of red rhubarb
- 1 gallon of water
- 2 1/2 pounds of sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 Campden tablet
- 1 ounce precipitated chalk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient
- Sauternes wine yeast
- primary container
- secondary container with airlock
- nylon straining bag
- food processor
- sterilized wine bottles
- Thoroughly wash the rhubarb and cut them into thin slices. Use a food processor to dice up the rhubarb.
- Place the rhubarb into the nylon straining bag and place into the primary container.
- Dissolve a crushed campden tablet in the cold water. Pour it over the rhubarb.
- Place a towel over the primary container and allow it to sit for 48-72 hours, stirring once a day.
- Strain the juices out of the nylon bag and discard the bag.
- Add the precipitated chalk. Let sit for at least three hours.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until sugar has dissolved. Cover the container and let sit overnight.
- Remove a pint of the rhubarb wine. Transfer the remaining wine mixture to the secondary container and fit the airlock.
- In five to seven days add the reserved rhubarb mixture and fit the airlock.
- Rack the wine once it is clear in color. Then rack the rhubarb wine once a month for two months.
- Rack the rhubarb wine into the bottles. If desired, age for at least a year.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”