How To Make Rice Crispy Treats
Need to know how to make rice crispy treats? Rice crispy treats are a classic childhood snack. With this quick and easy recipe, you can make them just as well as mom did. And this time there won’t be anyone to yell at you for eating the whole pan!
To make rice crispy treats, you will need:
- 6 cups of rice cereal
- 1 bag of regular marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Melt the butter over low heat on the stove in a large saucepan. Stir it occasionally to keep it from burning. Don’t use diet margarine—your rice crispy treats won’t turn out as well!
- Add the marshmallows slowly. Stir until they are all melted, and then remove the pan from the stove. You can substitute a jar of marshmallow cream for the bag of marshmallows. Note that you can do steps one and two in the microwave, using a large bowl rather than a saucepan.
- Add the rice cereal to the saucepan. Stir until the cereal is coated with the marshmallow and butter goodness. For something fun and different, add food coloring to the marshmallow mixture before adding the rice cereal.
- Grease a 13 by 9 pan. Cooking spray works the best, but you could also use butter.
- Use a non-stick spatula to press the mixture into the pan. Spread and flatten the mixture in the pan evenly.
- Let the rice crispy treats cool before cutting. Let them sit for about fifteen minutes (waiting is the hardest part). Cut into squares and enjoy!
- Store rice crispy treats for up to two days in a container. You can still eat them after two days, but they won't be as good. You can freeze the rice crispy treats for up to six weeks. To do so, put them in an airtight container with wax paper separating the layers.