Rice wine is a popular alcoholic drink that has been consumed in Asia for centuries. Rice wine has been dated back to as early as the eleventh century B.C. and is considered a staple of Asian cuisine. By following these basic guidelines, you can learn how to make rice wine at home.
- Hot water
- Large cooking pot
- Commercial strainer
- Chinese yeast ball
- Storage container
- Purchase raw, glutinous rice. This can be found in the Asian aisle of grocery stores or specialty stores. Soak four cups of the rice in hot water for approximately one hour. Carefully drain the rice and then steam. This rice can be steamed either through the use of a commercial strainer or by being placed in a colander and positioned over a pot of boiling water. Steam the rice for 25 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the steamer. Place on a flat surface, such as a table or countertop, and allow to cool for about two hours.
- Purchase a Chinese yeast ball, which can be found in the same location as the raw rice. Grind one-fourth of the yeast into a uniform powder and combine with one teaspoon of all-purpose flour. Combine this with the rice mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Put the entire mixture into a secure container and cover with a lid. Place the container in a warm, dry place and let it ferment for at least one month.
- Remove the liquid from the rice mixture by using a cheesecloth. Place the mixture into a clean piece of cheesecloth and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Refrigerate the liquid. Store it in an airtight container and place into the refrigerator to stop the fermentation process. This prevents the wine from becoming vinegar. As the wine ages, it will change in color from a light amber to a deep black.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.