Learn how to make rolled dumplings, and you'll be able to make any soup or stew into a full, hearty meal. Rolled dumplings are a great change from rice, potatoes or noodles. They are easy to make, and the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen.
To make rolled dumplings, you will need:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk, chilled
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Rub the shortening into the flour mixture using your fingers. The mixture should be well-mixed and crumbly.
- Gradually add the milk until the dough holds together. It should be workable, and not too wet.
- Knead the dough on the counter until it is smooth. Be sure not to overwork the dough, or it will get tough.
- Divide the dough into two evenly sized balls.
- Roll the dough out with a rolling pin until it is 1/8 of an inch thick. Use firm, even pressure to ensure that the dough is even in thickness.
- Cut the dough into pieces half an inch wide by two inches long. If the knife sticks, dip it in flour before cutting.
- The dumplings are now ready to be cooked. It is possible to simply boil them in water or chicken broth. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until the dumplings are cooked through but still hold their shape.
- Rolled dumplings can be served as a side dish with butter and salt.
- After cooking rolled dumplings, add to soups or stews such as chicken soup, vegetable soup or others that need a bit more substance to make a full meal.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …